Most Active Stories
- Former UNH Student Goes It Alone In Criminal Court, Wins 'Not Guilty' Verdict
- Update: Speaker Demands Apology For Abortion Remark During Debate Over Fourth Graders' Bird Bill
- Report: Former Chief Justice Banned From UNH Law's Rudman Center
- Why Human Feeding Can Hurt Deer
- Downhill Racers: In The North Country A Tough, New Venue For Going Faster, Farther
Tue April 30, 2013
State Officials Urge Caution When Foraging For Mushrooms
State officials are warning residents to be cautious when consuming wild mushrooms. The Department of Health and Human Services says only experts in wild mushroom identification should forage.
"We want to make sure everyone knows about the dangers of wild mushrooms potentially being poisonous especially since they may encounter them doing outdoor spring activities," says Dr. Jose Montero, Public Health Director for New Hampshire.
There are thousands of species of mushrooms in the region. Experts say many toxic varieties look similar to non-toxic ones.
In 2011, consumption of wild mushrooms led to 31 emergency room visits across the state. Symptoms of mushroom poisoning include abdominal pain, fever and low blood pressure.