Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Investigators Ask For Public's Help In Ongoing Abigail Hernandez Investigation
- Star Island Seeks To Go Solar, Serve As Energy Example
- Adults Who Wear Kids' Clothing: Saving Money Through Size
- On Demand: What's New To Netflix, Redbox, And Amazon Prime For July 2014
- Worth Preserving? 'Ugly' Concord Building At Center Of Debate Over Mid-Century Design
Tue November 29, 2011
Stumping On Immigration, Perry Trips on Voting Age
Stumping in NH today, Rick Perry worked to shore up his credential on immigration. But as NHPR’s Josh Rogers reports the Texas governor’s message was overshadowed by a miscue.
Rick Perry made several stops in the company of Arizona Sheriff Joe Arpaio, who is well-known for arresting illegal immigrants. But during an event at St. Anselm College, where Arpaio was greeted with some booing, Perry seemed unaware that the legal voting age is 18 not 21.
“Those of you who will be 21 by November the 12th, I am, I ask for your support and your vote. For those of you who will not I ask you to work hard, because you will inherit this.”
Perry’s miscue prompted whispers and laughter from some in the crowd. It’s the latest campaign trail gaffe for the Texas Governor, whose campaign was hurt badly when during a debate he forgot the name of the third federal agency he planned to eliminate.