Most Active Stories
- Podcast Special: Crime Writers On Serial, Episode 10 Discussion
- Multiple Votes, Procedural Fights Result In N.H. House Speaker Upset
- From 'Mankind' To Saint Mick: Mick Foley's Journey From Wrestling Cage To Santa's Village
- Kinder Morgan Officially Moves Preferred Pipeline Route To N.H.
- Best Books For The Holidays, 2014
13.7: Cosmos And Culture
Sun May 27, 2012
Sunday Morning Thermodynamics
Originally published on Tue May 29, 2012 7:30 am
Sunday morning and a young man's thoughts turn to the paper, a mountain bike ride and — of course — thermodynamics.
"In everyday language heat is both a noun and a verb. Heat flows, we heat. In thermodynamics heat is not an entity or even a form of energy: heat is a mode of energy transfer Heat is the transfer of energy by virtue of a temperature difference. Heat is the name of a process, not the name of an entity."
Take that, common usage!