Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Investigators Ask For Public's Help In Ongoing Abigail Hernandez Investigation
- Ousted CEO Arthur T. Demoulas Wants To Buy Market Basket Chain
- Bare Shelves, High Spirits As Market Basket Employees Continue Rally
- On Demand: What's New To Netflix, Redbox, And Amazon Prime For July 2014
- Worth Preserving? 'Ugly' Concord Building At Center Of Debate Over Mid-Century Design
13.7: Cosmos And Culture
Sun May 27, 2012
Sunday Morning Thermodynamics
Originally published on Tue May 29, 2012 7:30 am
Sunday morning and a young man's thoughts turn to the paper, a mountain bike ride and — of course — thermodynamics.
"In everyday language heat is both a noun and a verb. Heat flows, we heat. In thermodynamics heat is not an entity or even a form of energy: heat is a mode of energy transfer Heat is the transfer of energy by virtue of a temperature difference. Heat is the name of a process, not the name of an entity."
Take that, common usage!