Most Active Stories
- Historic Ice-Out Of Winnipesaukee Expected
- Newbie Urban Gardeners Don't Realize How Much Soil Is Contaminated
- Mariano Rivera Jr. To Play For Laconia Muskrats This Summer
- New N.H. Housing Report: Demographics & Housing Mismatch
- A Glimpse At Your Future Electric Bill? N.H. Utility Experiments Encourage Conservation
13.7: Cosmos And Culture
Sun May 27, 2012
Sunday Morning Thermodynamics
Originally published on Tue May 29, 2012 7:30 am
Sunday morning and a young man's thoughts turn to the paper, a mountain bike ride and — of course — thermodynamics.
"In everyday language heat is both a noun and a verb. Heat flows, we heat. In thermodynamics heat is not an entity or even a form of energy: heat is a mode of energy transfer Heat is the transfer of energy by virtue of a temperature difference. Heat is the name of a process, not the name of an entity."
Take that, common usage!