Most Active Stories
- Sen. Kelly Ayotte's State Director Resigns Following Prostitution-Related Arrest
- O'Malley Connects With Young N.H. Voters -- Musically
- Fish And Game Gets An Earful On Proposed Ban Of Chocolate As Bear Bait
- Keene City Council Rejects Permit For 2015 Pumpkin Festival
- N.H. House Passes Budget, Cuts $300 Million From Hassan's Plan
13.7: Cosmos And Culture
Sun May 27, 2012
Sunday Morning Thermodynamics
Originally published on Tue May 29, 2012 7:30 am
Sunday morning and a young man's thoughts turn to the paper, a mountain bike ride and — of course — thermodynamics.
"In everyday language heat is both a noun and a verb. Heat flows, we heat. In thermodynamics heat is not an entity or even a form of energy: heat is a mode of energy transfer Heat is the transfer of energy by virtue of a temperature difference. Heat is the name of a process, not the name of an entity."
Take that, common usage!