Most Active Stories
- Podcast Special: Crime Writers On Serial, Episode 10 Discussion
- Multiple Votes, Procedural Fights Result In N.H. House Speaker Upset
- From 'Mankind' To Saint Mick: Mick Foley's Journey From Wrestling Cage To Santa's Village
- Kinder Morgan Officially Moves Preferred Pipeline Route To N.H.
- Best Books For The Holidays, 2014
Word of Mouth - Segment
Thu March 8, 2012
Superhero Gadgets for the Rest of Us
Superheroes are heavy on the summer blockbuster schedule. A reunion of Marvel Comics “The Avengers” hits theaters in May, followed by the final installment of Christopher Nolan’s Batman series. In July, we get a reboot of the Spiderman epic. The new film adaptations promise new gadgets and CGI effects to stir moviegoers fantasies of and aspirations of superpowers.
We recently stumbled upon a number of real world inventions by serious scientists that could have just as well been designed by longtime comic book legend Stan Lee. Word of Mouth's Taylor Quimby talked to some of the inspired minds behind some new, superhero-esque inventions.
CORRECTION: In an earlier version of this interview, we referred to UMASS Amherst Professor of Biology Duncan Irschick (one of the team-members responsible for creating "Geckskin") by the wrong name. Our sincerest apologies. For more on the amazing work he was involved in, check out the link at the bottom of this post.