Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Investigators Ask For Public's Help In Ongoing Abigail Hernandez Investigation
- Adults Who Wear Kids' Clothing: Saving Money Through Size
- Star Island Seeks To Go Solar, Serve As Energy Example
- Bare Shelves, High Spirits As Market Basket Employees Continue Rally
- On Demand: What's New To Netflix, Redbox, And Amazon Prime For July 2014
Word of Mouth - Segment
Thu March 8, 2012
Superhero Gadgets for the Rest of Us
Superheroes are heavy on the summer blockbuster schedule. A reunion of Marvel Comics “The Avengers” hits theaters in May, followed by the final installment of Christopher Nolan’s Batman series. In July, we get a reboot of the Spiderman epic. The new film adaptations promise new gadgets and CGI effects to stir moviegoers fantasies of and aspirations of superpowers.
We recently stumbled upon a number of real world inventions by serious scientists that could have just as well been designed by longtime comic book legend Stan Lee. Word of Mouth's Taylor Quimby talked to some of the inspired minds behind some new, superhero-esque inventions.
CORRECTION: In an earlier version of this interview, we referred to UMASS Amherst Professor of Biology Duncan Irschick (one of the team-members responsible for creating "Geckskin") by the wrong name. Our sincerest apologies. For more on the amazing work he was involved in, check out the link at the bottom of this post.