Most Active Stories
- Bradley Completes 'Grid' Of 4,000-Footers, Every Mountain In Every Month
- Dartmouth Once Again Weighing Value Of Greek Life On Campus
- How Kickstarter Kept A North Country Cafe Open - And Kept It In The Family
- Freezing Rain Causes Treacherous Roadways, Multiple Accidents
- PSNH To Change Name To Eversource Energy
Word of Mouth
Fri May 9, 2014
The Surprising Origins Of Mother's Day
Happy Mother's Day! WoM is bringing you a special Mother's Day treat with two stories. The first comes from Andrew Phillips who spoke with host Virginia about the origins of Mother's Day. Andrew is curator of the Woodrow Wilson Presidential Library and Museum in Staunton, Virginia – which is also hosting an exhibit on Anna Jarvis and the origins of Mother’s Day.
If you want to embrace the ideals of Anna Jarvis this Mother’s Day, we recommend thinking outside of the gift box and doing something unexpected and meaningful.., something memorable. Perhaps, you could something as simple as sitting down for an intimate conversation. Our next story comes from Story Corps and allows us to listen-in on one of those intimate moments that can only be shared between a mother and child - who happen to be Yoko Ono and son Sean Lennon.