Most Active Stories
Thu March 22, 2012
Tips To Prevent Consumer Fraud
By Rachel Gotbaum and Officer Jane Constant
Here are some important tips to prevent fraud:
- Don’t wire money to someone you don’t really know. Once it’s gone, you can’t get it back.
- Don’t respond to any emails, phone calls, text messages, or advertisements that ask for any personal or financial information. Protect your social security card and your social security number.
- Don’t play any foreign lotteries or respond to any letters that arrive from a country outside the United States. It is a Federal Crime to participate in any foreign lottery.
- Don’t deposit a check from someone you don’t know.
- Don’t wire any money you receive in excess of your asking price if you are selling a product on the internet or privately. These types of Cashiers Checks are always fake.
- Review your bills and all financial statements regularly and carefully.
- Research ALL offers, products, investments, ads, charities, and companies thoroughly before you participate in anything. And remember, ALL businesses and investments must be registered with the State.