Top Stories: 1 Officer Killed, 4 Injured in Greenland Shooting, If I were President, I would...
A roundup of the top-ten most-read stories on nhpr.org and StateImpact - NH website.
1) NH News: Official: 1 officer killed, 4 injured in Greenland shooting Attorney General Michael Delaney says 48-year-old Greenland Police Chief Michael Maloney was the officer killed during a drug raid-turned-shootout that left four other officers wounded.
2) Word of Mouth: If I were President, I would... The American Presidency remains the most powerful office in the world…and one that any American-born child can aspire to. One of our listeners recently shared an interesting item on our Facebook page…an essay her daughter wrote for her third grade class at the Rumford School in Concord, New Hampshire. The subject: “If I were president, I would...”
3) NH News: N.H. Senate Backs Away from Right-to-Work The New Hampshire Senate has all but killed the Right-to-Work legislation Wednesday. What’s interesting is the bill had enough support from Senate Republicans to pass.
4) NH News: Kids Coming to Concord Prison - for Summer Camp This time of year parents across New Hampshire are starting to make family plans for the summer...even... inmates in the New Hampshire Prison system.
5) StateImpact: New England Could See (Bigger) Gas Price Spikes Following Refinery Closures The quirky calculus of oil price economics is notoriously complex. What that often translates to, in terms of media coverage, is continual score-keeping. How much have prices risen over the past week? From this time a month ago? A year ago?
6) NH News: Police Cadets Graduate With Heavy Hearts Less than twenty-four hours after one of the bloodiest episodes in New Hampshire Law Enforcement history, a new class of police cadets graduated from the academy.
7) North Country: Balsams Renovation Plan Moves Ahead The new owners of the closed Balsams resort in Dixville Notch are moving ahead with plans to renovate the North Country resort.
8) Word of Mouth: Here's what's hanging on Sean Hannity's Wall Painter Jon McNaughton doesn’t do subtle. in his latest painting, a barely recognizable President Obama peers from the canvas with narrowed eyes, clutching a burning copy of the Constitution. It’s not something you’d find at the Whitney Biennial…but it is all over Fox News and YouTube.
9) NH News: Details Slowly Emerging in Greenland Shootings - The shootings in Greenland remain under investigation. Law enforcement say the shooter that killed Chief Michael Maloney and wounded four others was 29 year old Cullen Mutrie – who was found dead at the scene along with an unidentified woman.
10) NH News: Utility Merger Could Impact Northern Pass - After 18 months of federal and state review, Northeast Utilities has completed a $5 billion purchase of Boston-based NStar. The deal makes PSNH’s parent company the largest utility in New England.