Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Investigators Ask For Public's Help In Ongoing Abigail Hernandez Investigation
- Adults Who Wear Kids' Clothing: Saving Money Through Size
- Star Island Seeks To Go Solar, Serve As Energy Example
- Bare Shelves, High Spirits As Market Basket Employees Continue Rally
- On Demand: What's New To Netflix, Redbox, And Amazon Prime For July 2014
Word of Mouth
Thu September 19, 2013
Trailer Parks: An Unexpected Solution For The Looming Boomer Housing Crisis?
The mass retirement of baby boomers could trigger yet another housing crisis. Boomers were responsible for roughly 80% of home construction in the 80’s and 90’s, and many of those homes were big, too big for empty nesters transitioning to a fixed income. Enter a housing solution that’s been with us all along: mobile home communities, or trailer parks.
Lisa Margonelli is a research fellow at the New America Foundation, and contributing editor to Pacific Standard, where we found her fascinating look at an often maligned community, “How The Trailer Park Could Save Us All.”