Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Abigail Hernandez Back Home With Family
- Star Island Seeks To Go Solar, Serve As Energy Example
- Adults Who Wear Kids' Clothing: Saving Money Through Size
- On Demand: What's New To Netflix, Redbox, And Amazon Prime For July 2014
- Worth Preserving? 'Ugly' Concord Building At Center Of Debate Over Mid-Century Design
Thu August 1, 2013
Two Viruses New To N.H. Found In Hillsborough County Man
Two viruses that have never been seen in New Hampshire before have shown up in the same person.
The state public health department says a man from Hillsborough County has tested positive for both the Jamestown Canyon virus, which is transmitted by infected mosquitoes, and the Powassan virus, which is carried by ticks.
Public health director Dr. Jose Montero says both viruses have been around the United States for a while, and the Powassan virus has been found in Maine and Vermont, so the New Hampshire case is not a surprise.
He says residents should take the same precautions they use to prevent other mosquito and tick viruses, including wearing effective insect repellent and doing regular tick checks.