Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Investigators Ask For Public's Help In Ongoing Abigail Hernandez Investigation
- Ousted CEO Arthur T. Demoulas Wants To Buy Market Basket Chain
- Gorham Man Charged With Kidnapping Abigail Hernandez
- Bare Shelves, High Spirits As Market Basket Employees Continue Rally
- On Demand: What's New To Netflix, Redbox, And Amazon Prime For July 2014
Thu August 1, 2013
Two Viruses New To N.H. Found In Hillsborough County Man
Two viruses that have never been seen in New Hampshire before have shown up in the same person.
The state public health department says a man from Hillsborough County has tested positive for both the Jamestown Canyon virus, which is transmitted by infected mosquitoes, and the Powassan virus, which is carried by ticks.
Public health director Dr. Jose Montero says both viruses have been around the United States for a while, and the Powassan virus has been found in Maine and Vermont, so the New Hampshire case is not a surprise.
He says residents should take the same precautions they use to prevent other mosquito and tick viruses, including wearing effective insect repellent and doing regular tick checks.