Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Investigators Ask For Public's Help In Ongoing Abigail Hernandez Investigation
- Ousted CEO Arthur T. Demoulas Wants To Buy Market Basket Chain
- Bare Shelves, High Spirits As Market Basket Employees Continue Rally
- On Demand: What's New To Netflix, Redbox, And Amazon Prime For July 2014
- Adults Who Wear Kids' Clothing: Saving Money Through Size
Word of Mouth
Mon February 4, 2013
Understanding The Placebo Effect
When it comes to measuring the placebo effect, which works better: fake acupuncture or fake pills? Researchers have recently redefined the role of the placebo, from a nuisance variable that needed to be controlled in clinical trials, to bona fide contributor to the improvement of patient outcomes.
Ted Kaptchuk, Associate Professor of Medicine at Harvard and Director of the Program in Placebo Studies and the Therapeutic Encounter (PiPS) at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston, joins us to share his findings.