Most Active Stories
- Multiple Votes, Procedural Fights Result In N.H. House Speaker Upset
- From 'Mankind' To Saint Mick: Mick Foley's Journey From Wrestling Cage To Santa's Village
- Kinder Morgan Officially Moves Preferred Pipeline Route To N.H.
- Best Books For The Holidays, 2014
- In Somersworth, Friends, Not Jobs, Bring Millennials Home
Mon September 16, 2013
UNH's Cowell Stadium To Get Lights, New Seating
By this time next year, The University of New Hampshire’s Cowell Stadium will likely have lights for evening games, for the first time in the stadium’s history.
The last state budget included $1.5 million dollars for the stadium's renovation. Most of those funds will go toward adding lights. The rest will be spent replacing seating that no longer meets fire codes.
Marty Scarano is the Director of Athletics at UNH. He says " right now Cowell Stadium, I would say, is an absolutely atrocious representation of the University."
Scarano says once the new lights and seating are in place, the University can bring in state high school championships and other events. That, he says, would put thousands of potential students on campus, and could serve as a powerful recruitment tool for the University.
The renovations are predicted to be completed by August 2014.