Most Active Stories
- Bradley Completes 'Grid' Of 4,000-Footers, Every Mountain In Every Month
- Dartmouth Once Again Weighing Value Of Greek Life On Campus
- How Kickstarter Kept A North Country Cafe Open - And Kept It In The Family
- Freezing Rain Causes Treacherous Roadways, Multiple Accidents
- Bill Would Require N.H. Employers To Offer Five Sick Days Per Year
Word of Mouth
Wed September 5, 2012
Urban Poverty vs Rural Poverty...Who's Better off?
Urban Squalor, it’s an image of misery: barefoot kids picking through heaps of smoldering trash or fetid water. With an increasing number of people living in such conditions in the world’s mega-cities, the question of whether living in urban poverty is worse than rural poverty is a persistent one. Charles Kenny- economist and senior fellow at the center for global development wrote “In Praise of Slums” an article published in Foreign Policy Magazine.
Plus, Handheld Stories offers a ray of hope to a few kids in slums around the world.