Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Investigators Ask For Public's Help In Ongoing Abigail Hernandez Investigation
- Star Island Seeks To Go Solar, Serve As Energy Example
- Adults Who Wear Kids' Clothing: Saving Money Through Size
- On Demand: What's New To Netflix, Redbox, And Amazon Prime For July 2014
- Worth Preserving? 'Ugly' Concord Building At Center Of Debate Over Mid-Century Design
Word of Mouth
Wed September 5, 2012
Urban Poverty vs Rural Poverty...Who's Better off?
Urban Squalor, it’s an image of misery: barefoot kids picking through heaps of smoldering trash or fetid water. With an increasing number of people living in such conditions in the world’s mega-cities, the question of whether living in urban poverty is worse than rural poverty is a persistent one. Charles Kenny- economist and senior fellow at the center for global development wrote “In Praise of Slums” an article published in Foreign Policy Magazine.
Plus, Handheld Stories offers a ray of hope to a few kids in slums around the world.