Most Active Stories
- Bradley Completes 'Grid' Of 4,000-Footers, Every Mountain In Every Month
- Dartmouth Once Again Weighing Value Of Greek Life On Campus
- How Kickstarter Kept A North Country Cafe Open - And Kept It In The Family
- Freezing Rain Causes Treacherous Roadways, Multiple Accidents
- PSNH To Change Name To Eversource Energy
All Things Considered
Thu January 17, 2013
Using Music To Teach Reading, Math And More
A New Hampshire schoolteacher is one of four finalists for National Teacher of the Year.
Heidi Welch is director of the music department at Hillsboro-Deering High School. She is one of just four nominees in the country for that award.
She talks with All Things Considered host Brady Carlson about how she teaches literacy through music and how overcoming challenges growing up in Manchester helps her reach students who could benefit from joining band and chorus.