Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Investigators Ask For Public's Help In Ongoing Abigail Hernandez Investigation
- Gorham Man Charged With Kidnapping Abigail Hernandez
- Ousted CEO Arthur T. Demoulas Wants To Buy Market Basket Chain
- Bare Shelves, High Spirits As Market Basket Employees Continue Rally
- On Demand: What's New To Netflix, Redbox, And Amazon Prime For July 2014
Mon June 9, 2014
USS California Arrives At Portsmouth Naval Shipyard
Crews at the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard are beginning maintenance work on the USS California, the nuclear-powered submarine that arrived over the weekend.
The vessel looks like a 7,800 ton torpedo, and can navigate shallow as well as deep waters. The submarine is designed to attack other ships and undertake special operations, intelligence, reconnaissance and mine warfare missions.
The US Navy calls the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard its “Center of Excellence” for repairing and maintaining fast attack nuclear submarines like the USS California.
115 enlisted personnel also arrived on the $2.3 billion vessel. The maintenance is expected to take four to seven weeks.