Most Active Stories
- Podcast Special: Crime Writers On Serial, Episode 10 Discussion
- Multiple Votes, Procedural Fights Result In N.H. House Speaker Upset
- From 'Mankind' To Saint Mick: Mick Foley's Journey From Wrestling Cage To Santa's Village
- Kinder Morgan Officially Moves Preferred Pipeline Route To N.H.
- Best Books For The Holidays, 2014
Thu September 27, 2012
V.T. Man Shoots 500-Plus Pound Bear
A Vermont man has shot a black bear weighing a little over 500 pounds, one of the largest recorded in the state in years.
Michael Davenport of Pownal came home from work on Sept. 17 and looked out over the field behind his house, where he had set up a number of game cameras. He saw the bear through his binoculars.
Davenport tells the Bennington Banner he grabbed his rifle and went down into the field about 150 yards, using a stone wall for cover. He shot the bear and watched it move into the woods. He heard it moan.
Davenport later found the bear. He needed his stepson and a tractor to help move it. At weigh-in, it was 501.5 pounds. The body is at a taxidermist.