Most Active Stories
- Sen. Kelly Ayotte's State Director Resigns Following Prostitution-Related Arrest
- O'Malley Connects With Young N.H. Voters -- Musically
- Fish And Game Gets An Earful On Proposed Ban Of Chocolate As Bear Bait
- Keene City Council Rejects Permit For 2015 Pumpkin Festival
- N.H. House Passes Budget, Cuts $300 Million From Hassan's Plan
Word of Mouth
Wed June 27, 2012
What if that carrot ISN'T just a carrot?
In 1968, L. Ron Hubbard, founder of the Church of Scientology, declared as the result of a scientific experiment an unusual and disturbing notion: that tomatoes scream when sliced. However strange his declaration may have seemed, Hubbard is in good company when it comes to prodding garden produce in search of an emotional response. Other famous investigators of vegetable consciousness include Charles Darwin and the British physician Thomas Burgess. Latif Nasser is a doctoral candidate with the History of Science department at Harvard and contributor to Radiolab. He wrote about our collective history of researching the inner lives of plants for the Boston Globe, and joins us to share more.