Most Active Stories
- Historic Ice-Out Of Winnipesaukee Expected
- Mariano Rivera Jr. To Play For Laconia Muskrats This Summer
- New N.H. Housing Report: Demographics & Housing Mismatch
- A Glimpse At Your Future Electric Bill? N.H. Utility Experiments Encourage Conservation
- Wind Farm Owner OK With Expanding Ski Slopes At Balsams If Safety Isn't An Issue
All Things Considered
Mon April 16, 2012
Why "FourSquare Day" Succeeds in Portsmouth
New England athletes know today as Marathon Monday – history buffs call it Patriots’ Day. And tech watchers know April 16th as Foursquare Day, named after the social media app.
On Foursquare Day, businesses and communities offer special discounts and free stuff to users who drop by and “check in” to Foursquare using their smartphones.
The place to be in New Hampshire for FourSquare Day is Portsmouth – in 2010 it was ranked the top Foursquare Day location in the world.
Brian DeKoning is director of social strategy for Raka Creative and a co-organizer of Portsmouth FourSquare Day. He explains to All Things Considered host Brady Carlson why the event seems to do unusually well for a city of Portsmouth's size.