Most Active Stories
Word of Mouth
Fri November 1, 2013
Word Of Mouth 11.02.13
Listening to Word of Mouth's Saturday broadcast is like sitting around a campfire and chatting with a bunch of super-smart, super-interesting people. So go sharpen a stick, grab your bag of marshmallows and pull up a log - here's what's coming up this hour:
- The Science of Superstition: Psychologist Stuart Vyse explains the collective power of the Red Sox beards.
- MORE COWBELL!!! From Strauss to Def Leppard, writer Lori Rotenberk traces the musical history of the cowbell.
- A Grimm Cinderella Story: Author Adam Gidwitz shares the original gruesome version of the classic fairy tale, and explains why Disney has done the Brothers Grimm a disservice.
- #NoFilter: Brian Ries, social media guru for The Daily Beast, on how a growing number of private dealers are legally selling guns on Instagram.
- WHEN JELLYFISH ATTACK! They're clogging nuclear reactors, capsizing ships, wiping out fish populations, and causing cerebral hemorrhages... So basically, jellyfish are scarier than sharks. There, I said it. Quartz reporter Gwynn Guilford explains.