Two-year-old Ben Bertini of Derry is reported to be recovering after suffering severe burns on 27 percent of his body and a puncture wound to the arm when a stack of consumer fireworks suddenly ignited at his grandparents' Pelham home. He was put into a medically induced coma immediately following the accident last week. Monday, doctors removed the inhaler and he has been speaking. He is currently receiving skin grafts at the Shriners Hospital in Boston. Eight adults and five children were injured in the blast and subsequent fire.
For some New Hampshire residents, the Fourth of July means it’s time for fireworks in the backyard. The state has long been one of the few states in the region to allow this practice. But this year it's causing new safety concerns because more dangerous types of fireworks are now on sale.