Sean Hurley / NHPR

Federal officials say they issued a higher number of citations and fines than usual to New Hampshire employers for exposing workers to fall hazards this winter.

The Occupational Safety and Health Administration conducted inspections between January 29 and March 4 and found a number of employees removing snow from rooftops who were not adequately protected from the risk of falling.

The U.S. Labor Department's OSHA division is proposing a fine of nearly $64,000 against a New Hampshire manufacturer of acrylic and wooden sign holders and displays, saying workers were overexposed to a toxic chemical.

Occupational Safety and Health Administration inspections stemming from December say M.F. Blouin of Rollinsford lacked controls to reduce the exposure to methylene chloride and failed to provide respirators, proper eye and face protection and medical surveillance.

A Vermont man found responsible for the 2010 explosion in Colebrook that killed two men and injured a third is going to prison for at least ten years.

Late in October a jury found Craig Sanborn guilty of two counts of manslaughter and Wednesday in Coos Superior Court he was sentenced.

“The court sentenced Mr. Sanborn to five to ten years incarceration on each manslaughter charge to be served consecutively for a total of 10 to 20 years,” said Stephen Murray, the assistant Coos County attorney.

The Hampton textile  firm Foss Manufacturing Company is facing $115,000 in fines, according to the state’s Department of Labor.

That’s after a federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration investigation discovered 21 safety hazards, following an employee complaint. 

Investigators found a substantive probability of injury or death from electrocution, burns, and amputation injuries, as well as confinement in oxygen-deficient spaces.

Federal officials say six companies building a biomass plant in Berlin have put workers at risk by not following safety regulations.

The Occupational Health and Safety Administration proposes fining the companies about $280,000 for thirty-one “willful, serious and repeat violations of workplace safety standards.”

“These hazards included potential cave-ins, falls, scaffold collapse, crushing, exposure to lead and electrocution hazards,” said OSHA spokesman Ted Fitzgerald.

Fitzgerald said there were no serious injuries or deaths.

A Vermont man will go on trial Monday in connection with the deaths of two men in an explosion in Colebrook more than three years ago.

Sixty-four year old Craig Sanborn of Maidstone, Vermont is scheduled to appear in Coos County Superior Court in Lancaster.

Sanborn owned the Black Mag factory - which made a gun powder substitute – when it exploded in May 2010, killing two workers and injuring a third.

The Department of Labor’s Occupational Safety and Health Administration is seeking more than 173,000 dollars in fines against 10 construction contractors who worked on building the Merrimack Premium Outlets.

The contractors came from six different states to work on the Merrimack Outlet construction. OSHA’s Concord Area Office conducted the investigation starting in January, according to New Hampshire area director Rosemarie Ohar.

Courtesy of the Kennett and Kendall families.

A trial date has been set for Craig Sanborn, the man accused of negligent homicide and manslaughter in the deaths of two North Country men who worked at his Black Mag factory in Colebrook when it exploded almost two years ago.

Jury selection is set to begin on January 11, 2013 in Superior Court in Lancaster for the trial of Sanborn, 62, of Maidstone, Vermont.

Earlier this year Sanborn – whose company operated the facility - was indicted in the deaths of Jesse Kennett and Donald Kendall.

The owner of a Colebrook plant that exploded in 2010 faces criminal charges. NHPR’s Chris Jensen reports.

Coos County Attorney Robert Mekeel says a grand jury has indicted  Craig Sanborn the owner of the Black Mag plant in Colebrook.

He faces manslaughter and negligent homicide charges for an explosion that killed Jesse Kennett and Donald Kendall.

A third man was badly injured.

The indictments came down late Friday.

Occupational Safety and Health Administration officials have said they were not aware of the plant before the explosion.