When it comes to Twitter followers, Katy Perry, Justin Beiber, and President Obama hold the top spots. On today’s show: we veer off social media’s beaten path to share some hidden gems in the Twittersphere.
Then, the holidays are here! Time for family gatherings, and perhaps, some awkward conversations. We’ll tackle the art of conversation, and offers tips on how to get a good one started with anyone, anywhere.
Plus, what happens when a pro-wrestler abandons the ring for Santa’s sleigh? One of our favorites segments of 2014.
Listen to the full show and click Read more for individual segments.
Who to Follow on Twitter
- Brady Carlson, NHPR's host of All Things Considered joined us to talk about interesting Twitter feeds to follow. We've got the full list at the bottom of this post.
when you drink a large coffee right before recording announce breaks and you're like THISISNHPRTHANKSFORLISTENINGTOTALLYYEAH #nprlife
— Brady Carlson (@BradyCarlson) December 23, 2014
The Story Behind White Christmas
- Producer Katy Sewall from the Radio Retrospective brings us this story behind the Irving Berlin classic.
- You can listen to this story again at PRX.org.
- In late November, they begin to arrive. In malls, outside stores, at company parties across the country. A huge deluge of Santas. We don't often stop to wonder who the men are beneath the red stocking caps. And as Sean Hurley recently discovered, Santa sometimes has a secret he wants to keep.
- You can find the full transcript of this piece and photos at this link: From Mankind to Saint Mick
What To Talk About
- In their book What to Talk About, Chris Colin and Rob Baedecker offer tips on how to start a good conversation with anyone, anywhere. They joined me this spring right when their book was published.
Brady's list of people to follow on Twitter
“While this show is about a conspiracy, I do want to inject some ‘fun.’” – History
— Network Notes (@TvNetworkNotes) October 24, 2014
— tldrwikipedia (@tldrwikipedia) December 5, 2014
If olive oil is made from olives, what is baby oil made of? Mineral Oil, Aloe Vera Extract, Vitamin E, Acetate, Fragrance.
— Anti-Joke Cat (@AntiJokeCat) October 2, 2014
┓┏┓┏┓┃ ┛┗┛┗┛┃＼○／ ┓┏┓┏┓┃ / WHICH AD ┛┗┛┗┛┃ノ) EXPERIENCE ┓┏┓┏┓┃ DO I PREFER? ┛┗┛┗┛┃ ┓┏┓┏┓┃ ┛┗┛┗┛┃ ┓┏┓┏┓┃ ┻┻┻┻┻┻
— Casey Johnston (@caseyjohnston) December 22, 2014
Soon I will be having my own internet channel wiring up the house as we speak right now get ready to step into my world
— Jose Canseco (@JoseCanseco) December 14, 2014
— Michael Beschloss (@BeschlossDC) December 23, 2014
Saw the 'Soup Nazi' Seinfeld episode today for the 1st time. Better than advertised.
— Will Roseliep (@WillRoseliep) December 22, 2014
— Upworthy Spoiler (@UpworthySpoiler) October 31, 2014
— MWObs (@MWObservatory) December 21, 2014
Hummus Ben Sira, a new favorite :) pic.twitter.com/AQkSK0BOSh
— Michael W. Twitty (@KosherSoul) December 22, 2014