Most Active Stories
- Bradley Completes 'Grid' Of 4,000-Footers, Every Mountain In Every Month
- Dartmouth Once Again Weighing Value Of Greek Life On Campus
- How Kickstarter Kept A North Country Cafe Open - And Kept It In The Family
- Freezing Rain Causes Treacherous Roadways, Multiple Accidents
- PSNH To Change Name To Eversource Energy
Fri December 14, 2012
18 Children Among 27 Killed In Shooting At Connecticut Elementary School
An official with knowledge of a shooting at a Connecticut elementary school says 27 people are dead, including 18 children.
The official spoke on condition of anonymity because the investigation is still under way.
Another official, speaking on condition of anonymity for the same reason, says the gunman is among the dead.
The killings happened at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, about 60 miles northeast of New York City.
State police say Newtown police called them around 9:40 a.m. A SWAT team was among the throngs of police to respond.
Photos from the scene showed young students — some crying, others looking visibly frightened — being escorted by adults through a parking lot in a line, hands on each other's shoulders.