Most Active Stories
- A Huge, New Ski Resort At The Balsams?
- Rail Study Group Expects 3,000 Riders Daily Between Manchester and Boston
- N.H. Senate Approves Medicaid Expansion Proposal
- Miss. Man Thought Dead, Comes Back To Life On Embalming Table
- With Escalating Heroin Epidemic In Portsmouth, City's Reputation Could Be On The Line
Sat January 12, 2013
Author Molly Michelmore and her new book "Tax and Spend"
Author Molly Michelmore explores what she calls the fundamental paradox of American Politics: We’re hostile toward taxes, but we also demand the privileges government offers from social security to local police protection. Michelmore examines the history of this conundrum and finds these attitudes consistent from FDR’s New Deal to the Reagan Revolution.
Molly Michelmore - Associate Professor of History at Washington and Lee University and author of "Tax and Spend: The Welfare State, Tax Politics and the Limits of American Liberalism"