Most Active Stories
- State To Shut Down Lakeview Special Ed School, Hassan Says More Actions To Come
- Nashua Runner Races Boston Marathon For Beloved Guide Dog
- Meet Peter Biello, NHPR's New 'All Things Considered' Host
- At GOP Summit, 2016 Contenders Work To Impress N.H. Base
- Workers With Disabilities Will Be Paid At Least Minimum Wage In New Hampshire
Sat January 12, 2013
Author Molly Michelmore and her new book "Tax and Spend"
Author Molly Michelmore explores what she calls the fundamental paradox of American Politics: We’re hostile toward taxes, but we also demand the privileges government offers from social security to local police protection. Michelmore examines the history of this conundrum and finds these attitudes consistent from FDR’s New Deal to the Reagan Revolution.
Molly Michelmore - Associate Professor of History at Washington and Lee University and author of "Tax and Spend: The Welfare State, Tax Politics and the Limits of American Liberalism"