Most Active Stories
- A Huge, New Ski Resort At The Balsams?
- Rail Study Group Expects 3,000 Riders Daily Between Manchester and Boston
- N.H. Senate Approves Medicaid Expansion Proposal
- Miss. Man Thought Dead, Comes Back To Life On Embalming Table
- With Escalating Heroin Epidemic In Portsmouth, City's Reputation Could Be On The Line
Thu September 19, 2013
Ayotte Looks For Answers In Washington Navy Yard Shooting
Senator Kelly Ayotte is asking Navy officials to explain why the gunman in the Washington Navy Yard shooting was given an honorable discharge two years ago.
According to media reports, the Navy had originally pursued a general discharge for Aaron Alexis.
In a letter sent to Secretary of the Navy Ray Mabus today, Ayotte, a member of the Armed Services Committee, says she is concerned the Navy may have missed opportunities to prevent the tragedy.
Ayotte says had Alexis been given a general discharge, future employers would have been more likely to give his background extra scrutiny.
Alexis was a civilian contractor working in the Navy Yard.
Officials say he killed 12 people on Monday, before being killed in a shootout with police.