Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Investigators Ask For Public's Help In Ongoing Abigail Hernandez Investigation
- Adults Who Wear Kids' Clothing: Saving Money Through Size
- Star Island Seeks To Go Solar, Serve As Energy Example
- On Demand: What's New To Netflix, Redbox, And Amazon Prime For July 2014
- Bare Shelves, High Spirits As Market Basket Employees Continue Rally
Sat May 26, 2012
BackStory: Monumental Disagreements
Airs May 28 at 9:00 a.m.
This is a country awash in monuments. They are the centerpieces of traffic circles, street corners and, of course, the National Mall. We have erected them to Rosie the Riveter and Confederate generals. Yet our ambivalence towards these monuments is as old as our enthusiasm for them. In this Memorial Day episode of BackStory, we take on national remembrance. Looking at some of our country’s most iconic monuments, we ask what—and whom—Americans choose to remember. We discover that memorials often tell us more about their creators than what or whom they memorialize.