Most Active Stories
- Podcast Special: Crime Writers On Serial, Episode 10 Discussion
- Multiple Votes, Procedural Fights Result In N.H. House Speaker Upset
- From 'Mankind' To Saint Mick: Mick Foley's Journey From Wrestling Cage To Santa's Village
- Kinder Morgan Officially Moves Preferred Pipeline Route To N.H.
- Best Books For The Holidays, 2014
Wed November 14, 2012
Bill O'Brien Holds On To His Seat In Recount
Republican House Speaker William O'Brien is keeping his New Hampshire House seat.
O'Brien, R-Mont Vernon, won a recount Wednesday for the seat. He said very few votes changed as a result of the recount.
O'Brien was elected speaker two years ago, but Democrats regained control of the House last week and the votes to name a speaker from their party when the Legislature organizes Dec. 5.
Republicans nominate their choice for speaker in a private caucus Thursday. Democrats pick their nominee Saturday. If Democrats stick together, their choice will be named speaker Dec. 5 and the GOP choice will be minority leader.