Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Investigators Ask For Public's Help In Ongoing Abigail Hernandez Investigation
- Ousted CEO Arthur T. Demoulas Wants To Buy Market Basket Chain
- Bare Shelves, High Spirits As Market Basket Employees Continue Rally
- On Demand: What's New To Netflix, Redbox, And Amazon Prime For July 2014
- The Polish Princess: Baking Bread And Helping The Economy One Job At a Time
Fri May 9, 2014
Apple Expected To Buy Beats Electronics
Originally published on Mon May 12, 2014 3:26 pm
STEVE INSKEEP, HOST:
NPR's business news starts with iPhones and headphones.
Apple is set to buy Beats Electronics for more than $3 billion. That's according to a report in the Financial Times. Beats is a headphone maker founded by hip-hop star Dr. Dre and the producer Jimmy Iovine.
Ironically, Iovine has said the inspiration to found Beats six years ago was the poor quality headphones that Apple put in with its products. He offered a better alternative, and Apple hobbled the old adage - if you can't beat 'em, buy 'em. Transcript provided by NPR, Copyright NPR.