Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Investigators Ask For Public's Help In Ongoing Abigail Hernandez Investigation
- Ousted CEO Arthur T. Demoulas Wants To Buy Market Basket Chain
- Bare Shelves, High Spirits As Market Basket Employees Continue Rally
- On Demand: What's New To Netflix, Redbox, And Amazon Prime For July 2014
- Worth Preserving? 'Ugly' Concord Building At Center Of Debate Over Mid-Century Design
Sat May 24, 2014
Cog Railway Runs Daily, Introduces Biodiesel Engine
Memorial Day weekend marks the start of the Mount Washington Cog Railway's daily trips to the summit of the highest peak in the Northeast.
The Cog Railway opened its 2014 season April 26, but operated weekends only until now.
This season marks the 145th year of operation of "the Cog."
The popular tourist attraction is also rolling out a new biodiesel engine during the holiday weekend. The new engine is named Metallak, in honor of the last surviving member of the local Abenaki tribe.
Each 3-hour round trip on the Cog includes an hour spent at the summit, where passengers get free admission to the new summit weather presentation created by the Mount Washington Observatory — titled Extreme Mount Washington.
Schedules and ticket information can be found at www.thecog.com .