This stream-of-consciousness postcard was assembled from random entries in the Marlboro Trail hiker register on Mount Monadnock, most-climbed mountain in the Western Hemisphere. A year of scrawled fragments…
- Happy New Year!
- Today is my half-birthday!
- Lost crampons on hike, if found please call…
- Played hooky from work, a great choice.
- Made pee-pee in the woods!
- Happy Spring!
- Happy Easter.
- Rescued two lost hikers.
- May we continue to be grateful for Mother Earth.
- Nice day except for the people: jerks on the phone; jerks drinking beer.
- Day #47: we finally made it back to civilization!
- Forgot the bug spray.
- All human beings are Gods!
- Cool morning, humidity to come.
- Mushrooms blooming.
- Barefoot on the way up.
- Sprained ankle.
- Park closing at 6 pm as Hurricane Irene approaches!
- Summer is about to end
- Escaped from Massachusetts, may not go back.
- Beautiful day to hike with the people I love most
- Out of breath already, can’t wait for summit.
- Thanks to all US Veterans.
- Enjoy winter, see you next spring.
Although many asked in earnest, there was no comment from the mountain.