Most Active Stories
- Sen. Kelly Ayotte's State Director Resigns Following Prostitution-Related Arrest
- O'Malley Connects With Young N.H. Voters -- Musically
- Fish And Game Gets An Earful On Proposed Ban Of Chocolate As Bear Bait
- Keene City Council Rejects Permit For 2015 Pumpkin Festival
- N.H. House Passes Budget, Cuts $300 Million From Hassan's Plan
Mon October 14, 2013
Cyclist Deaths Lead To Talk Of Bridge Widening
Lawmakers and city planners on the Seacoast are suggesting widening the Underwood Bridge on Ocean Blvd in Hampton. That’s after a driver hit four cyclists on the bridge last month.
Senator Nancy Stiles of Hampton wants to see an engineering study of the Neil Underwood Bridge on the Hampton/Seabrook line. She says as pedestrian, bicycle and automobile traffic increases, a two-lane bridge may no longer be sufficient.
State Representative Fred Rice, also of Hampton, agrees. At a meeting last Tuesday, he pointed out that the bridge is a nuclear evacuation route, so backed up traffic could cause very serious problems.
Stiles says the state has almost $7 million remaining for repairs to the bridge, after an initial rehabilitation that began in 2008. The Neil Underwood Bridge is one of the state’s top red-listed bridges.