Most Active Stories
- Podcast Special: Crime Writers On Serial, Episode 10 Discussion
- Multiple Votes, Procedural Fights Result In N.H. House Speaker Upset
- From 'Mankind' To Saint Mick: Mick Foley's Journey From Wrestling Cage To Santa's Village
- Kinder Morgan Officially Moves Preferred Pipeline Route To N.H.
- Best Books For The Holidays, 2014
All Things Considered
Mon January 21, 2013
Franklin Pierce's Inaugural Day: Unique Touches And Great Challenges
Every American president has taken the same oath of office that President Barack Obama took earlier today - every president except one.
Franklin Pierce, the only president to hail from New Hampshire, took a slightly different oath at his inauguration on March 4th, 1853 (in those days, presidents began their terms in March instead of January).
Dr. Peter Wallner wrote a two volume biography of Franklin Pierce. He told NHPR's Brady Carlson that Pierce began his four years at the White House with several unique inaugural flourishes - at a time of huge personal and political challenges.