Most Active Stories
- Podcast Special: Crime Writers On Serial, Episode 10 Discussion
- Multiple Votes, Procedural Fights Result In N.H. House Speaker Upset
- From 'Mankind' To Saint Mick: Mick Foley's Journey From Wrestling Cage To Santa's Village
- Kinder Morgan Officially Moves Preferred Pipeline Route To N.H.
- Best Books For The Holidays, 2014
Word of Mouth
Tue February 19, 2013
How Much Is That Titanium Hip In The Window?
Pop question: how much does a hip replacement cost for an uninsured person? Answer: somewhere between eleven and $125-thousand bucks. A college student’s survey of American hospitals found quoted costs to vary wildly – when the hospitals even provided quotes. Many could not, or did not. The results were recently published by the Journal of American Medicine Association.
Elisabeth Rosenthal covers medicine and science for the New York Times and wrote about the study for “The Well”