Most Active Stories
- Historic Ice-Out Of Winnipesaukee Expected
- Mariano Rivera Jr. To Play For Laconia Muskrats This Summer
- New N.H. Housing Report: Demographics & Housing Mismatch
- A Glimpse At Your Future Electric Bill? N.H. Utility Experiments Encourage Conservation
- Wind Farm Owner OK With Expanding Ski Slopes At Balsams If Safety Isn't An Issue
Word of Mouth
Tue February 19, 2013
How Much Is That Titanium Hip In The Window?
Pop question: how much does a hip replacement cost for an uninsured person? Answer: somewhere between eleven and $125-thousand bucks. A college student’s survey of American hospitals found quoted costs to vary wildly – when the hospitals even provided quotes. Many could not, or did not. The results were recently published by the Journal of American Medicine Association.
Elisabeth Rosenthal covers medicine and science for the New York Times and wrote about the study for “The Well”