Most Active Stories
- Bradley Completes 'Grid' Of 4,000-Footers, Every Mountain In Every Month
- Dartmouth Once Again Weighing Value Of Greek Life On Campus
- How Kickstarter Kept A North Country Cafe Open - And Kept It In The Family
- Freezing Rain Causes Treacherous Roadways, Multiple Accidents
- PSNH To Change Name To Eversource Energy
Word of Mouth
Tue February 19, 2013
How Much Is That Titanium Hip In The Window?
Pop question: how much does a hip replacement cost for an uninsured person? Answer: somewhere between eleven and $125-thousand bucks. A college student’s survey of American hospitals found quoted costs to vary wildly – when the hospitals even provided quotes. Many could not, or did not. The results were recently published by the Journal of American Medicine Association.
Elisabeth Rosenthal covers medicine and science for the New York Times and wrote about the study for “The Well”