Most Active Stories
- Bradley Completes 'Grid' Of 4,000-Footers, Every Mountain In Every Month
- Dartmouth Once Again Weighing Value Of Greek Life On Campus
- How Kickstarter Kept A North Country Cafe Open - And Kept It In The Family
- Freezing Rain Causes Treacherous Roadways, Multiple Accidents
- PSNH To Change Name To Eversource Energy
Mon June 24, 2013
Indictment In Death of California Woman
A Vermont man has been indicted by a Grafton Country Grand Jury for second degree murder in the death of Catherine Houghton in Littleton in January.
The indictment - returned Friday - charges Rodney Hill, 37, of West Danville, Vermont with the crime.
Houghton, 70, was a trustee of The White Mountain School in Bethlehem. She came to the North Country for a meeting.
She was fatally injured January 28 when she went to the lobby of the Hampton Inn to ask about a television remote that wasn’t working.
According to an affidavit from a state police investigator Hill – a stranger – happened to be in the lobby and stabbed Houghton.
The affidavit says Hill told police the devil normally took the human form of his father but he thought the devil had suddenly taken the form of Houghton and she had to be killed to protect his family.
Hill is in jail awaiting trial.