Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Investigators Ask For Public's Help In Ongoing Abigail Hernandez Investigation
- Ousted CEO Arthur T. Demoulas Wants To Buy Market Basket Chain
- Bare Shelves, High Spirits As Market Basket Employees Continue Rally
- On Demand: What's New To Netflix, Redbox, And Amazon Prime For July 2014
- Worth Preserving? 'Ugly' Concord Building At Center Of Debate Over Mid-Century Design
Wed January 29, 2014
Keno Bill Clears House, Moves On To Senate
New Hampshire's House has voted to allow electronic keno games to be played in bars and restaurants that serve alcohol.
The Keno bill cleared the house by a 202-141 margin. That vote came after the house tacked on an amendment to require local approval to the electronic bingo game. Republican Patrick Abrami of Stratham told colleagues he opposes expanded gambling but Keno is a different animal.
What’s wagered in New Hampshire will stay in New Hampshire. Unlike in NH , where a lot of what would be wagered in NH would wind up in Las Vegas.
Under the bill, 92 percent of the proceeds would go to the state for education, with one percent of that earmarked for problem gambling programs. The other 8 percent would go to businesses offering the game. Lottery officials say if 250 locations adopt Keno, the state could net $9 million. The bill now moves to the Senate where it’s expected to meet resistance from Senators focused on passing a casino bill. If Keno does become law, New Hampshire would join 15 other states and Washington, D.C. in allowing it.