Most Active Stories
- A Huge, New Ski Resort At The Balsams?
- Rail Study Group Expects 3,000 Riders Daily Between Manchester and Boston
- N.H. Senate Approves Medicaid Expansion Proposal
- Miss. Man Thought Dead, Comes Back To Life On Embalming Table
- With Escalating Heroin Epidemic In Portsmouth, City's Reputation Could Be On The Line
13.7: Cosmos And Culture
Sun September 16, 2012
A Neanderthal-Themed Park For Gibraltar?
The Homo sapiens imagination runs wild: A 4-D Mammoth Hunters ride? An Ice Age-themed roller-coaster?
Pure fantasy only, these ideas flew to mind when I scanned a report this morning about a Neanderthal park that may be established on the Rock of Gibraltar within a few years.
Soon enough I realized that the scientists, museum curators and government officials behind this idea are thinking not of a Neanderthal theme park but a Neanderthal-themed park, one that would involve UNESCO "World Heritage" designation. (I very much doubt that wild rides are part of the plan.)
In all seriousness, the Gibraltar location would be apt. The Rock boasts numerous caves; Neanderthal activity is associated with some of them. There's no certainty yet that the park will become a reality, but on-site education about and conservation of this Neanderthal locality would be a great thing.
You can keep up with more of what Barbara is thinking on Twitter: @bjkingape