Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Investigators Ask For Public's Help In Ongoing Abigail Hernandez Investigation
- Adults Who Wear Kids' Clothing: Saving Money Through Size
- Star Island Seeks To Go Solar, Serve As Energy Example
- On Demand: What's New To Netflix, Redbox, And Amazon Prime For July 2014
- Bare Shelves, High Spirits As Market Basket Employees Continue Rally
Thu January 12, 2012
NH Lawmakers: Don't Cut Off Cod
New Hampshire’s congressional delegation signed a letter asking federal regulators not to lower the catch limit on Atlantic Cod.
The federal lawmakers say that fishermen in the Granite State already have their backs against the wall.
Senator Jeanne Shaheen says lowering the catch limit on Cod could lead to the loss of 90% of the fishermen’s revenue.
Shaheen: it has potential to almost wipe out our fishing industry in New Hampshire because so much of their revenue comes from cod and inshore ground fishing.
The letter comes after a study released last month found the Gulf of Maine cod fishery was not recovering as quickly as hoped.
Fisherman cry foul, saying they have been seeing more cod in recent years than ever before.
Regulators will meet at the end of this month to discuss possible changes in catch limits.