Most Active Stories
- N.H. Utilities Expect Multi-Day Power Restoration Effort After Thanksgiving Eve Storm
- Capital Corridor Rail Study: Rail To Manchester a Good Deal, Concord Only So-So
- "Sailor Jerry" Ad Man Turns To History-Rich Tamworth For Whiskey Distillery
- Something Wild: Are Golden Eagles Returning To The Granite State?
- Portsmouth's Iconic Scrap Piles Are Gone For Good
Arts & Culture
Wed January 15, 2014
Rare Beethoven Manuscript Goes Up For Auction In N.H.
If you’d like to hold a piece of Beethoven’s musical history, you’ll need to act fast.
RR Auction in Amherst, New Hampshire, which specializes in rare autographs, closes bidding Wednesday evening on a manuscript dating back to 1820. The single page contains ink and pencil marks made by Beethoven as he composed one his last major works, the rarely-performed religious piece Missa Solemnis.
It’s garnering attention from around the globe, with bidding is already approaching $400,000.
Watch a complete performance of Beethoven's Missa Solemnis performed in 2011 at London's Royal Albert Hall under the direction of Sir Colin Davis.
Word of Mouth