Most Active Stories
- A Huge, New Ski Resort At The Balsams?
- Rail Study Group Expects 3,000 Riders Daily Between Manchester and Boston
- N.H. Senate Approves Medicaid Expansion Proposal
- Miss. Man Thought Dead, Comes Back To Life On Embalming Table
- With Escalating Heroin Epidemic In Portsmouth, City's Reputation Could Be On The Line
Series: Shifting the Balance
Mon March 19, 2012
A School Bus of a Different Sort
In rural towns, getting to school isn't always as easy as the walks I used to take in suburban Long Island. Small towns rely heavily on parents to give kids rides, and on kids taking lengthy bus rides...not exactly the healthiest option at a time when childhood obesity rates are climbing exponentially.
As part of our continuing series "Shifting the Balance," I spent a recent morning finding out about an alternative mode of school transportation in my own small town, and discovered a whole lot more about what at least one school has done to make lots of things just a little bit healthier.