Most Active Stories
- Historic Ice-Out Of Winnipesaukee Expected
- Mariano Rivera Jr. To Play For Laconia Muskrats This Summer
- Newbie Urban Gardeners Don't Realize How Much Soil Is Contaminated
- New N.H. Housing Report: Demographics & Housing Mismatch
- A Glimpse At Your Future Electric Bill? N.H. Utility Experiments Encourage Conservation
Series: Shifting the Balance
Mon March 19, 2012
A School Bus of a Different Sort
In rural towns, getting to school isn't always as easy as the walks I used to take in suburban Long Island. Small towns rely heavily on parents to give kids rides, and on kids taking lengthy bus rides...not exactly the healthiest option at a time when childhood obesity rates are climbing exponentially.
As part of our continuing series "Shifting the Balance," I spent a recent morning finding out about an alternative mode of school transportation in my own small town, and discovered a whole lot more about what at least one school has done to make lots of things just a little bit healthier.