Most Active Stories
- Former UNH Student Goes It Alone In Criminal Court, Wins 'Not Guilty' Verdict
- Update: Speaker Demands Apology For Abortion Remark During Debate Over Fourth Graders' Bird Bill
- Update: N.H. AG Says Murder-Suicide Likely In Deaths Of Bedford Mother, Two Children
- Report: Former Chief Justice Banned From UNH Law's Rudman Center
- Why Human Feeding Can Hurt Deer
Mon May 26, 2014
Sen. Ayotte Backs Scott Brown, Despite Differences On Gun Rights
On Tuesday, U.S. Senator Kelly Ayotte threw her support behind fellow Republican Scott Brown, who is running for the state’s other Senate seat.
Brown also picked up endorsements from former Republican governors Steve Merrill and Craig Benson.
Standing before a large crowd of Brown’s supporters in Nashua, Ayotte described the former Massachusetts Senator as a proven leader who will get things done for New Hampshire.
“And I am very proud to stand here today and endorse Scott Brown. Working together, I can assure you we’ll put New Hampshire first,” she said.
Ayotte told the crowd that Brown will work with her on issues such as repealing Obamacare.
“Someone that will adhere and make sure that we’re focusing fiscal responsibility; on limited, accountable government.”
But during her speech and afterward with reporters, Ayotte would not address their differences on the issue of gun rights.
Following the Sandy Hook shooting in 2012, Brown said he would support a federal ban on assault weapons.
Ayotte opposes such a ban.
Brown will face several Republican challengers in a September primary, the winner taking on incumbent Democrat Jeanne Shaheen in November.