Most Active Stories
- Bradley Completes 'Grid' Of 4,000-Footers, Every Mountain In Every Month
- Dartmouth Once Again Weighing Value Of Greek Life On Campus
- How Kickstarter Kept A North Country Cafe Open - And Kept It In The Family
- Freezing Rain Causes Treacherous Roadways, Multiple Accidents
- PSNH To Change Name To Eversource Energy
Tue September 3, 2013
Sen. Morse Elected As New Senate President
Sen. Chuck Morse was elected as president of the state Senate Tuesday morning.
As expected, the Salem Republican received support from the 13 Senate Republicans, along with most of the support of the Democratic minority. The lone vote against Morse was cast by Democratic Sen. David Pierce.
In a statement, Morse said, “I am humbled and will be forever grateful for the faith you have placed in me to lead this distinguished body.”
Gov. Maggie Hassan congratulated Morse on the appointment.
“Both during my time in the Senate and as Governor, I have appreciated Senator Morse’s constructive approach to addressing our challenges, as evidenced by this year’s unprecedented bipartisan budget,” she said in a statement.
Morse replaces Milford Republican Peter Bragdon, who stepped down as president after accepting a job as the executive director of the Local Government Center.
Morse has chaired the Senate’s Finance Committee during three state budgets.