Most Active Stories
- Bradley Completes 'Grid' Of 4,000-Footers, Every Mountain In Every Month
- Dartmouth Once Again Weighing Value Of Greek Life On Campus
- How Kickstarter Kept A North Country Cafe Open - And Kept It In The Family
- Freezing Rain Causes Treacherous Roadways, Multiple Accidents
- PSNH To Change Name To Eversource Energy
Tue September 10, 2013
Shaheen: Russia Working With Syria A Welcome Possibility
After hearing reports that Russia has offered to work with Syria to destroy Syria's chemical weapons, New Hampshire Sen. Jeanne Shaheen says she welcomes the possibility of such international cooperation to avoid U.S. military action.
Shaheen said in a statement Monday the eventual elimination of Syria's chemical weapons stockpiles is in the best interest of the United States and the world community.
She said, however, that there must be immediate, serious and credible actions by Russia and Syria toward the transfer and eventual destruction of Syria's weapons of mass destruction as soon as possible, and that the United States should continue to maintain pressure on the Syrian regime to give up its weapons stockpile.