Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Investigators Ask For Public's Help In Ongoing Abigail Hernandez Investigation
- Gorham Man Charged With Kidnapping Abigail Hernandez
- Ousted CEO Arthur T. Demoulas Wants To Buy Market Basket Chain
- Bare Shelves, High Spirits As Market Basket Employees Continue Rally
- On Demand: What's New To Netflix, Redbox, And Amazon Prime For July 2014
Word of Mouth
Wed September 11, 2013
The Shocking Truth Behind Pistachio Pricing: The Ones With Shells Cost MORE!
When it comes to food I can be a bit of a cheapskate. If I can’t tell the difference between two similar products, the first thing I look at to determine which to buy is the price tag. But sometimes, being a frugal shopper means more than picking the right brand – sometimes it’s about getting your hands dirty.
Take pistachios for example. I always buy them with the shells on. Why? Because they’re cheaper. Presumably, consumers are paying extra for the privilege of not having to split a thumbnail cracking them open. But when we asked around the office at our Concord studios, it turned out there were lots of reasons people choose to buy whole pistachios.
The pre-shelled pistachios were priced at $5.99 for 6.3 oz of nuts.
The 8 oz bag of pistachios were priced at $4.49. After shelling he was left with 4.3 oz of nuts.
Un-shelled pistachios = $1.04 per oz.
Shelled pistachios = $0.95 per oz.
If you go the lazy route, you save $.09 per oz!
Word of Mouth