Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Investigators Ask For Public's Help In Ongoing Abigail Hernandez Investigation
- Ousted CEO Arthur T. Demoulas Wants To Buy Market Basket Chain
- Bare Shelves, High Spirits As Market Basket Employees Continue Rally
- On Demand: What's New To Netflix, Redbox, And Amazon Prime For July 2014
- Gorham Man Charged With Kidnapping Abigail Hernandez
Tue July 24, 2012
Speaker O'Brien: Will Seek to Outlaw Gay Marriage If Re-elected
New Hampshire Speaker of the House Bill O’Brien says he would again seek to outlaw gay marriage in the state if he wins another term as Speaker.
Speaker O’Brien’s comments came during an appearance on NHPR’s the Exchange. He said he believes that gay marriage will directly result in greater government spending.
“If our families are weak, then we’ll never be able to have final fiscal responsibility, because if government needs to step up for weakened families then there’s going to be an unlimited call on government resources. One of the things that makes our families strong is a traditional definition of marriage and I firmly believe that.”
Last March, the Republican-dominated House voted down a bill that would have repealed the state’s gay marriage law. O’Brien said he would still support a repeal effort if elected again.