Top Stories: White Mountains Innkeeper Struggles With Shifting Economic Landscape, Summer Books 2012
By NHPR Staff • Jul 2, 2012
A roundup of the top-ten most-read stories on nhpr.org and StateImpact - NH website.
- StateImpact: Getting By, Getting Ahead: A White Mountains Innkeeper Struggles With Shifting Economic Landscape The Notchland Inn is one of numerous country inns, B&Bs and mom-and-pop motels that help make the White Mountains’ economy tick. When the recession hit in 2008, the number of visitors plummeted, but the Inn has been able to stay afloat.
- The Exchange: Summer Books 2012 The Exchange takes a look at the books you’ll want to take with you to the beach the mountains, or just as your lounging in your backyard for the summer of 2012 .
- NH News: N.H. Lawmakers Knock Down 7 of Lynch's Vetos, Uphold 6 Wednesday, June 27, the New Hampshire House and Senate overrode seven of Gov. John Lynch’s vetoes and allowed six to stand.
- North Country: Injured Boy Rescued On Mount Washington A 15-year-old was carried off Mount Washington Monday, June 25, after he fell and injured his leg.
- StateImpact: SCOTUS And The Affordable Care Act: An Overview Two charts depicting the possible outcomes ahead of the Supreme Court ruling which came down on Thursday to uphold the constitutionality of the Affordable Care Act.
- All Things Considered: Pianos, Kids and "Organized Chaos" at Famed Music Camp It’s summer camp season – these days kids can spend a week on almost any activity they like, from sports and the outdoors to computers and robotics. Since the late 1960’s, kids who love music have been heading to Bennington, Vermont, which is home to a piano camp known as Summer Sonatina.
- NH News: Veto Day Arrives at Statehouse With 15 vetoes, the most ever by a Governor in a single session, John Lynch hasn’t been shy about wielding his power.
- StateImpact: Recent Study Questions "New Hampshire Advantage" The “New Hampshire Advantage” — the Granite State’s lack of an income tax—comes under scrutiny with a recent report that shows higher growth in states with an income-tax.
- Word of Mouth: Take a Picture of Your Birth... It Will Last Longer Digital cameras are everywhere…documenting everything from mundane meals to cute things kids do. There are still a few high-stakes events that warrant the sticker price of a professional shutterbug: weddings of course, school portraits, and – for a new generation of open-minded Mommies and Daddies – births.
- StateImpact: Affordable Care Act: In The Eye Of The Beholder In New Hampshire, the Affordable Care Act is most certainly in the eye of the beholder.