Most Active Stories
- Multiple Votes, Procedural Fights Result In N.H. House Speaker Upset
- From 'Mankind' To Saint Mick: Mick Foley's Journey From Wrestling Cage To Santa's Village
- Kinder Morgan Officially Moves Preferred Pipeline Route To N.H.
- Best Books For The Holidays, 2014
- In Somersworth, Friends, Not Jobs, Bring Millennials Home
Sun August 3, 2014
Two World Records Could Be Broken At Winnipesaukee's 'Raft-A-Palooza'
Kayakers and canoeists are hoping to break two world records in Laconia, New Hampshire, this weekend.
LakeFest 2014: Raft-a-Palooza takes place Sunday at Weirs Beach on Lake Winnipesaukee. Following a "Blessing of the Fleet" in the morning, paddlers will attempt to break the Guinness World Record for the largest raft of canoes and kayaks. The current record was set in Michigan with 2,099 boats.
The group also hopes to beat the record for the number of kayaks and canoes launched simultaneously. A group in Tasmania set the record with 308 boats last year.
The festival is a fundraiser for NH Lakes, which works to protect lakes and their watersheds through advocacy and education.