Most Active Stories
- Multiple Votes, Procedural Fights Result In N.H. House Speaker Upset
- From 'Mankind' To Saint Mick: Mick Foley's Journey From Wrestling Cage To Santa's Village
- Kinder Morgan Officially Moves Preferred Pipeline Route To N.H.
- Best Books For The Holidays, 2014
- In Somersworth, Friends, Not Jobs, Bring Millennials Home
Mon May 5, 2014
UNH To Open New Student-Athlete Center
The University of New Hampshire is bringing sports and studying closer together with a new Student-Athlete Center for Excellence. Paid for entirely with private donations, the $1.9 million center opening next fall will be housed at the university's field house and will include a large, comfortable study space staffed by advisers and tutors and smaller rooms where teams and small groups can work together. Heather Barber, the university's faculty representative to the NCAA, says it will be a huge improvement over the current situation. While UNH has ample staff and programs to help students with issues like mentoring and career development, the only space they have is a tiny basement room.