Podcasts & RSS Feeds
Most Active Stories
- Investigators Ask For Public's Help In Ongoing Abigail Hernandez Investigation
- Bare Shelves, High Spirits As Market Basket Employees Continue Rally
- Ousted CEO Arthur T. Demoulas Wants To Buy Market Basket Chain
- On Demand: What's New To Netflix, Redbox, And Amazon Prime For July 2014
- Adults Who Wear Kids' Clothing: Saving Money Through Size
Thu May 2, 2013
White Potato Poised To Become State Vegetable
The state senate approved a bill Thursday declaring the white potato as New Hampshire’s official state vegetable.
The bill comes in recognition of the spring of 1719, when settlers in what is now the Town of Derry were the first to plant the tuberous vegetable in the new world.
Virginia had challenged that first-in-the-nation status, but the U.S. Potato Board has substantiated the claim and Virginia has since yielded.
The bill now heads to the Governor for signature.