Most Active Stories
- Bradley Completes 'Grid' Of 4,000-Footers, Every Mountain In Every Month
- Dartmouth Once Again Weighing Value Of Greek Life On Campus
- How Kickstarter Kept A North Country Cafe Open - And Kept It In The Family
- Freezing Rain Causes Treacherous Roadways, Multiple Accidents
- PSNH To Change Name To Eversource Energy
Word of Mouth
Thu May 23, 2013
Whitey Bulger: America’s Most Wanted Gangster
At the time of his capture in 2011, James “Whitey” Bulger was wanted for 19 murders, extortion and loan sharking committed during his reign over Boston’s Irish mob between the 1970s and 1995. During 16 years on the lam, Whitey became the subject of myth; characterized alternately as a “good bad guy”, and, in Martin Scorsese’s 2006 film, The Departed, a venal sociopath.
Shelley Murphy and Kevin Cullen, a pair of Boston Globe journalists have drawn on 25 years of reporting to create a more complete and nuanced portrait of the restless boy from the Boston projects who became the most wanted fugitive of his generation. Tonight, Murphy and Cullen will be at the Red River Theatre for a screening of The Departed and at a pre-screening reception and talk.
Joining the event will be local attorneys Steve Gordon and Bill Christie -- who brought lawsuits against the FBI on behalf of the families of those murdered by Whitey Bulger and his accomplice Stephen Flemmi. But first, we welcome Shelley Murphy , co-author of Whitey Bulger: America’s Most Wanted Gangster and the Manhunt That Brought Him to Justice.
Word of Mouth