Who Are We And Where Did We Come From
- First to Arrive: Native Americans
- The Next Wave (1500s): Europeans
- 1623: English (within 175 years, Native Americans were displaced by immigrants)
- Census from 1790: 787 Africans, 153 Dutch, and 142 French
- 1800s: Irish begin to move in to New Hampshire
- 1880 - 1920: Large wave of immigrants of European and French descent. Also, immigrants arrived from Austria, Finland, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Lithuania, Poland, Russia, and Sweden.
Nationalities whose numbers of foreign-born New Hampshire residents exceeded 1,000 in at least one of the census years between 1890 and 1920.
Year 2000 Census: Nationalities whose numbers of foreign-born NH residents exceeded 1000 in year 2000.