Whether you buy, drink, or do business in the Granite State, liquor plays a significant role in the culture and the economy. Today, Word of Mouth tackles a complicated (and very broad) question sent in by a listener: "Why are liquor laws in New Hampshire SO WEIRD???" So here goes: in this episode, we'll try and get to the bottom of a Prohibition era law that requires bars to sell food, take a trip to a local distillery to find out more about what it means to produce "scratch-made" liquor, and look at how liquor revenue is used. Plus, three attempts to make a signature NH beverage. Go slow! This episode is high-proof.
- You Asked, We Answered: Why Are There No 'Bar Only' Bars in New Hampshire?
- Cocktail #1 - "The Manch-hattan."
- Local Liquor - A trip to Tamworth Distillery
- Cocktail #2 - "The Chinook."
- The Alcohol Fund - a conversation with NHPR's Paige Sutherland about her reporting on the costs and benefits of NH liquor revenue.
- Rapid fire round - questions and answers with Joseph Mollica, Chairman of the NHLC.
- Cocktail #3 - "The Road Less Traveled."
Vote for your favorite Granite-state themed cocktail on our twitter poll! And check out our very own Nick Capodice turning a snowy day into a signature drink: